Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Dirty Little Secret

Well, sort of. Really it’s just Greg that doesn’t know and I’ll probably keep it that way for a while. See, he’s been very indulgent of my Goodwill obsession. He even helped haul one particularly large purchase home recently (more on that in a future post). But at some point his patience is going to wear out. Hopefully not before I can get this bad boy in the house.

Can you see the detail at the bottom? Many, many years ago, this chest sat in my mom’s garage and was used to store the stuff I played “school” with. Yeah, we won’t count how many years ago that was. It was apparently from my grandma’s house...and my mom said she never bought anything new, so it was probably old even then. My guess is that it’s at least 50 years old? Who knows. I love it. My sister loves it. My mom thinks we’re nuts.

My sister tried to strip the finish off and clean up the drawer pulls many years ago, but it was the project that just wouldn’t finish (pun intended).  She’s had it in her house for probably 8 or more years and now she’s finally ready to get rid of it. And of course, I’m the sucker that’s going to take it.

The thing is riddled with problems...it smells musty, the drawers are hard to get open and the wood grain is fairly open on the top, making it impossible to re-stain.  But it’s going to be a beauty...I just know it. I’m thinking of painting it a fun color like yellow...but yellow is so hard to get right. Something like this. 
Maybe green? It’ll definitely be trial and error. 
I can’t wait to get started...just don’t tell Greg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment