Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!!

Well, it’s not my birthday, but it is Greg’s birthday today. But somehow I’m the one that got the cool gift. I’m so excited. A few weeks ago, I was trolling my local Goodwill (shocking, I’m sure) and I came across a beat up, round kitchen table. The best part...it had a leaf! Yes, I already have a table, but it’s a pretty large rectangle and while I haven’t measured, in my mind it’s not going to work in the new kitchen. I think it’s too big and/or not the right shape. Not sure if you can tell the space from this photo...see the small piece of cabinet on the right? Not that big of a space for a huge rectangle. (yes, I hate that light fixture...and those curtains!)


So I snapped a picture and sent it to Greg...after a few, “seriously?” type texts, he said to do whatever made my little heart happy. Well, he didn’t say it that way, but you get the point...it didn’t hurt that I had been doing a LOT of the move related stuff that week. It’s alllll about timing. So I nervously plunked down $35 and it was mine!


The table was pretty beat up, but it looked mostly like surface scratches. The base is painted an ugly dark green, so I figured I could paint the whole thing a nice, glossy black if I had to. And even if it didn’t work out size-wise, I could always sell it, right? Maybe even for a profit.

Of course, the thing wouldn’t fit in my car, so Greg had to (patiently) come with me to pick it up. Since we’re moving and have zero space and it was in his vehicle anyway, he decided to take it to work and just store it there. And he even took the camera to work and snapped the pics you see here for my blog...awwww.  

But here’s the birthday/best part...he had the guys in the mill sand the top for me, saving me HOURS of labor and tedium. While this picture is super crappy and tiny (snapped on his cell phone), the table looks FABULOUS!
Happy birthday to me on Greg’s b-day!! I can’t wait to stain the top and paint the base. I’ll either pick a stain that’ll go with my current chairs, or I might even paint them. There are so many projects that I want to get to and all I can do at this point is pack!!! This one’s going on the top of the list. 23 more days til the move! 

No comments:

Post a Comment